Real Estate Investment
Our commercial property solicitors have a broad client following ranging from private individuals to institutional pension funds. They have extensive experience in acquisitions and disposals of multi-let properties across all asset classes. Examples of recent work include:
- Acting for a well-known UK pension fund with Â£14 billion AUM on the disposal of a portfolio of 10 let retail units across the UK for approximately Â£25 million
- Acting for an overseas property holding company on the sale of a multi-let office building in Mayfair for Â£18.5 million
- Acting for a property fund on the disposal of a vacant warehouse, single storey office and car park in Wakefield for Â£8.3 million
- Acting for a property company on the acquisition of a multi-let office and warehouse accommodation in the City for Â£19.3 million.
Our commercial property lawyers work closely with our landlord clients to manage and maximise the value of their real estate investments. We advise on portfolios consisting of offices, bars and restaurants, hotels and casinos, retail and industrial parks as well as distribution and fulfilment centres. Our services include:
- Lease grants and renewals
- Advising on the operation of break clauses
- Tenant applications
- Rent review advice
Our team has a reputation for being proactive and commercially astute and understands the importance of the efficient management of tenanted assets.
We advise corporate occupiers across multiple industries on the best way to maximise the value of your commercial property portfolio. Our corporate occupier clients range from established household names to innovative start-ups. We recognise the challenges they face in the current climate and provide decisive and commercial solutions to enable them to seize and secure opportunities. We advise on the full spectrum of tenant requirements such as:
- Lease grants
- Negotiation of existing occupations
- Assignments and underlettings
- Managing exits by breaks or surrenders
Alcohol & Entertainment Licensing
As a supplement to the services we offer to our corporate occupier clients, our team of licensing lawyers also advise on licensing for premises activities. With a thorough understanding of the specific requirements of local authorities we can provide nuanced advice to our restaurant and leisure clients, ensuring their licence applications stand the best chance of success.
Our services include:
- Applications for new premises licences
- Applications for personal licences
- License variations
- Temporary events notices
- Representing clients at licence review proceedings
Real Estate Development
We are recognised for the high calibre of work we undertake for our developer clients. Our cross-discipline team understands and adapts to the constantly changing economic climates affecting the needs of developers.
We offer expertise in all aspects of the development life cycle including:
- Site acquisition and funding
- Joint ventures and investment agreements
- Development finance
- Non-contentious construction matters
- Plots sales
- Ground rent disposals
Examples of recent transactions we have been involved in include:
- The acquisition and financing of a Â£25 million office building in Croydon converted to 235 residential units
- The Â£40 million acquisition of a London site to create 263 dwellings and ground floor commercial units
- The disposal of a ground rent portfolio to an institutional investor
We have a team of lawyers and paralegals who work exclusively on plot sales, allowing high-volume projects to be handled quickly and efficiently.
Real Estate Finance
We engage the diverse expertise of our team to advise lenders, investors and borrowers on all aspects of debt and equity participation in real estate transactions.Â
Our Commercial Real Estate group works closely with the firmâ€™s Corporate lawyers to deliver practical solutions to our clients on all aspects of real estate transactions. We advise on:
- Structuring debt and equity participation for investment finance and development finance
- Advising on mezzanine finance and profit participation
- Drafting joint venture agreements
- Advising on taking security and inter creditor arrangements
- Financing for hotels, co-living arrangements and student accommodation
For our offshore clients we call upon our network of international professionals to advise on the necessary corporate structures in jurisdictions such as the BVI, Gibraltar and the Channel Islands.
We are proud to boast of an award-winning Construction team who act for developers, contractors, sub-contractors, consultants, purchasers and funds on all aspects of the documentation used in construction projects including:
- Building contracts
- Professional appointments
- Collateral warranties
- Bank and surety bonds
- Insurance issues
Our Property Litigation lawyers are skilled problem solvers and negotiators who think laterally and commercially to provide pragmatic and effective solutions to clients experiencing contentious real estate issues and in need of advisory services. Their services include:
- Breach of covenant issues
- Sale of land disputes
- Forfeiture advice and claims
- Assignments, underlettings and other forms of alienation â€“ contentious or advisory
- All aspects of commercial lease renewals under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954
- Possession actions, including removal of former tenants and licencees or urgent removal of squatters.
- Adverse possession matters
- Restrictive covenant and easement disputes.
- Break options, rent review and service charge disputes
Our team regularly appear in the High Court, County Court, the Land Registration and the Residential Property Divisions of the First Tier Tribunal, the Upper Tribunal and the Court of Appeal. We are also highly experienced in resolving disputes through mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution (“ADR”).
Real Estate Taxation
Our in-house tax barrister advises on all categories of real estate tax including Stamp Duty Land Tax, Capital Gains Tax, VAT and cross-border taxation.