PARTNER - Family
Anita joined Fletcher Day as Family Law Partner in November 2020 to spear head Fletcher Day's expansion plans for offering family law services in Manchester and the North West.
Anita has 21 years experience in all aspects of family law, mainly multi-value and complex high value financial matters alongside difficult children cases and is a Legal 500 recommended Family Lawyer.
As a practicing collaborative lawyer and member of Resolution she is committed to promoting alternatives to court proceedings to resolve relationship disputes thereby providing clients with greater choice of procedure to resolve disputes.
Prior to joining Fletcher Day, Anita was Head of Family for Manchester at Shoosmiths LLP, a national corporate firm, for almost 4 years.
Anita is a Resolution accredited specialist in Advanced Financial Provision and Domestic Abuse. Anita is passionate about achieving healthy and sustainable outcomes for her clients and is well known in the Northwest for her problem solving skills. She is renowned for her ability to devise solutions to take the heat out of complex and heightened family disputes.
Her client base often includes leading individuals in the sporting and media industry, financial and corporate services and world leading medical consultants and university academics.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Divorce, dissolution of civil partnerships and nullity and judicial separation proceedings;
- Financial provision in the above proceedings as well as in circumstances where there has been an overseas divorce;
- Variation, enforcement or set aside of existing financial orders.
- Unmarried separation issues (including TOLATA applications);
- Separation Agreements and Living Together Agreements;
- Pre and post-nuptial agreements;
- Child residence and contact disputes;
- Paternity disputes;
- Applications for parental rights and step parent rights;
- Child relocation and international child abduction disputes;
- Third party rights as interveners in financial remedy proceedings;
- Change of name for adults and children
- Child maintenance including CMS and Schedule 1 claims where the CMS does not have jurisdiction;
- Domestic violence/abuse injunctions and harassment cases
- Using the collaborative process to reach an agreement in all family law issues;
- Preparing and supporting clients during the mediation process by way of Lawyer supported mediation.
Acting for a husband (through the official solicitor) who had a degenerative brain stem disease, acquire a fair share of the £6.6m matrimonial assets which were placed in a trust to meet the husband's complex care needs.
Securing the return of children to the care of their mother following their abduction by their paternal family where search and recovery orders were required to achieve the safe return of the children with the involvement of multi agency support such as police, social services, border control and out of hours court service.
Represented the wife of a former Premier League Footballer in divorce, finances and children proceedings. The case involved disputes concerning paternity, asset freezing injunctions, prohibited steps and specific issue orders as well as the internal UK relocation of the children.
MEMBERSHIP & RECOGNITION
- Member of Resolution and advanced accredited specialist.
- Member of Manchester Collaborative law POD
- A recommended family lawyer in 2020 and 2021 Legal 500
PRO BONO WORK
Anita has a strong and committed interest in access to justice and is a volunteer lawyer mentoring and supervising law students from Manchester University and MMU at the Studentfamily law clinic as well as providing pro bono legal advice to the public via Manchester Free Legal at Manchester Civil Justice Centre (remotely during Covid). Anita believes strongly in giving back and helping community based organisations and is able to further this in her role as Trustee for the Charity, Talk Listen Change (TLC).