PARTNER - Employment
Cyril is a Partner in the firm's Employment department. He has over 20 years' experience in advising clients on national and international matters relating to their employment, business and commercial issues. He covers all aspects of human resources advice and training to employers including practical advice on equality and diversity policies and procedures.
Cyril has advised national corporations, blue-chip companies and public sector employers, including NHS Trusts, on their HR policies and procedures, as well as representing employers at employment tribunals.
Cyril is also experienced in handling high value termination contracts for senior executives as well as being a skilled negotiator on behalf of respondent companies. He has acted as advocate on behalf of clients at the employment tribunal, employment appeal tribunal and county courts. He has also represented clients in High Court and Court of Appeal actions.
He is well versed with government departments in the UK and abroad, having been a civil servant at the Department of Employment and then a Higher Executive Officer at the Commission for Racial Equality for many years before entering private practice.
Having worked on immigration applications and business transactions in the UK and abroad, he has experience of business, cultural, diplomatic, social and political awareness and an understanding to assist international clients in achieving their objectives.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE - For Employers
- Drafting and reviewing employment contracts and HR policies and procedures
- Management and resolution of workplace disputes, including mediation
- Advice on grievance and disciplinary procedures
- Management of sickness absenteeism
- Advice on work performance issues
- Negotiated exits, including preparing settlement agreements
- Defending claims brought in the Employment Tribunals and High Court
- Enforcement of post termination restrictions
- Due diligence and specialist TUPE advice on commercial transactions
- Employment law Health Checks
AREAS OF EXPERTISE - For Employees
- Director and Senior Executive Service Agreements
- Boardroom disputes
- Grievances in the workplace
- Employment claims (Unfair dismissal, discrimination, harassment and victimisation, whistleblowing, breach of contract, unlawful deductions from wages)
MEMBERSHIP & RECOGNITION
- Cyril is bilingual in French and English.
- Cyril is a member of the Employment Lawyers' Association; Disability Discrimination Lawyers' Association; The Law Society's Firms' Equality and Diversity Forum; and the Employment Tribunal Users' Group at London Central and Watford Tribunals.
- He is Trustee and Chair of Harrow Law Centre.
- Cyril is a volunteer as a Legal representative on the ELIPS at London.
- He is an Executive of the Employment Law Association's Pro Bono Committee.
"Cyril was of great help and guidance during a protracted employment dispute with my employer. He helped me navigate a grievance process I raised due to unfair treatment and negotiate eventual settlement. With his help I felt I've gone into the settlement negotiation process well prepared, with a clear picture of my legal position, and with a well worked out negotiation strategy, which we devised together. This was by far the most stressful time in my career and life in general and having a person of his caliber in my corner gave me the confidence I needed to go through this process rather than just quit."
"Cyril is truly brilliant, he maintained a wonderful calming influence. Cyril is so kind, gracious, he is soft spoken, he has tremendous patience, also, he has an incredible soothing manner and positive attitude: which has been highly beneficial to me during the times when my anxieties and frustrations have been at an all-time high."
"Cyril is a rare individual whom I have the upmost respect and trust."
"I chose Cyril as an employment lawyer to help me review a contract. He managed to spot a few issues with the non-competes in the legal documents, which we manage to remove. This effectively allowed me to start work 3 months earlier! I was very happy with my dealings with him, very professional and to the point!"
"Cyril is a fantastic solicitor who helped me reach a fair settlement with my employer very quickly. Cyril listened to my concerns and acted with professionalism and integrity throughout this process."
"Throughout a very difficult and lengthy complex case, Cyril remained calm, supportive and objective at all times. His knowledge and experience as a solicitor allowed me to continue fighting for something I believed in when, at times I felt that it would have been easier to walk away. I would more than happily recommend Cyril in the future."