David has considerable experience of costs litigation, commercial and sports litigation, and cross-qualified as a solicitor after training as a barrister. David has over 20 years' experience of costs litigation and heads our costs team.
He deals with all aspects of high-value costs disputes with an emphasis on advocacy and advisory work. Recent costs management instructions include a £30M commercial dispute, a £12M construction dispute, a £20M clinical negligence dispute and a high-profile sports case.
Other recent costs instructions include a complex solicitor and own client dispute, cases concerning challenges to switches of funding from Legal Aid to CFA, and numerous high-value detailed assessments.
David is an active racing cyclist up to World Master's medal level, and is one of the handful of British riders to break the 18 minute barrier for a 10-mile time trial.
He has considerable experience of dealing with cycling-related cases, including cycling injury cases, civil assault cases on behalf of road rage victims, cycle event-related issues, and commercial matters for the cycling industry.
David's broader litigation work includes business disputes, often arising from agency and franchise disputes, construction and engineering disputes, and professional negligence.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Advocacy at detailed assessment, costs management hearings and costs appeals
- Costs litigation
- Solicitor & own client disputes
- Retainer and funding advice
- Third party costs orders
- Wasted costs orders
- Cycling injury
- Franchising & agency disputes
- Construction & Engineering disputes
- Professional negligence
- Collett v Smith & Middlesbrough Football & Athletic Company Ltd  EWHC 90208 (Costs).
- Hervia Ltd v Vivienne Westwood Ltd  (ChD) (high-value franchise dispute, widely reported in the national press).
- Utting v McBain  EWHC 3293 (QB) (Costs).
- Advising a Tour de France winner in respect of a contract dispute.
- Securing significant civil damages for the victims of road rage incidents.