Partner - Family Law
Julius Brookman brings over 20 years' experience in Family Law and over 17 years of post-qualification experience much of it specialising in international Family Law.
Julius joined Fletcher Day's Family Law department in late 2019 after being a partner at his family's international law firm, Brookman. He also enjoyed a year's worth of consultancy experience at Taylor Rose before being sought out for his specialist expertise by Fletcher Day.
Julius qualified as a solicitor in 2004 with secondments in commercial litigation at a general commercial practice, and also having worked in a specialist serious fraud criminal law firm. Julius became a partner in his firm in 2004 and has enjoyed a career working on a number of leading cases. He enjoyed judicial secondments in 2016 and 2017 and is interested in some of the more academic aspects of Family Law, particularly in relation to its international operation.
Julius cross-qualified in Queensland in 2015 and is known for his down to earth and pragmatic approach to the cases he works on. He has co-authored an article in Family Law journal in 2013 and regularly contributes to Family Law blogs and topical Family Law discussions.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Julius has been involved in a number of complicated and cross-jurisdictional appeals, most recently he won a very long running unreported appeal relating to the Domicile and Matrimonial Proceedings Act. He was also involved on the Court of Appeal case of Rattan v Kuwad which changed the Law on Maintenance Pending Suit, a link to the full decision is at: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Rattan-v-Kuwad-Judgment.pdf
- Julius been consistently referred to in the Legal 500 guide and was classed as a 'Rising Star' in the 2014/15 and 2014/15 edition of Super Lawyers
- In 2012 and 2013 he acted against a famous footballer in the case of PG v TW (1) and PG v TW (No.2) which fundamentally altered the law on child maintenance
- Julius worked on the leading pensions case of Martin-Dye v Martin-Dye in 2006
- Julius also worked on some unreported but unusual cases involving trans-gender issues
- Throughout his career Julius worked on a number of cases involving complex jurisdictional matters and disputes
Membership and Recognition
- Resolution member
- Anglo-Australasian Lawyers Society Committee member
- Vice-President of the Bond University London Alumni
"The service provided by Julius Brookman has been exceptional from start to finish and has far exceeded my expectations. He takes the time to really understand what help you need and then gives clear and solid advice and guidance on family matters. He is very knowledgeable, supportive, kind and understanding. (He took the time to patiently and diligently answer all the questions I had, even when this went beyond our allotted time). I'm very satisfied with the level of professionalism and commitment. I found Julius to be diligent and responsive, and I felt that he genuinely cared about getting the best and most efficient outcome for me. I felt very much looked after and valued as a person rather than a number. From my experience dealing with other solicitors in the past, Julius Brookman would be in the top level. I highly recommend him to anyone who is looking for professional help. The service was flawless." - Sandra - Fletcher Day client
"I cannot speak more highly of Julius Brookman who has handled my international divorce and financial proceedings with utmost professionalism and efficiency. Julius is incredibly knowledgeable, giving me clear advice and explanation. Excellent communicator, keeping me updated with what was happening every step of the way. I would have no hesitation in recommending Julius, and I am in gratitude to him for all he has done." - Mrs EM - Fletcher Day client