- Family Law
Shameela has been specialising in family law since 2004. She has a wealth of experience in dealing with multi-value, complex financial claims and private disputes over children.
Shameela took a special interest in family law during her studies and specialised in family law in both her undergraduate degree and post graduate degree where she specialised in international family law and child law (with an emphasis on assisted reproduction, adoption and surrogacy).
Before joining Fletcher Day, Shameela trained with Finers Stephens Innocent (now Howard Kennedy FSI) and then joined Lloyd Evans Law (L.E Law) which is a niche private practice on the London/Essex borders to head up the family department.
Throughout her career, Shameela has worked extensively on financial settlements, jurisdictional issues, pre and post nuptial agreements, variation of maintenance applications, enforcement of orders, appeals, child abduction and national and international relocation of children. She also has acted for unmarried couples and assisted them with financial and property claims and for same sex couples too. Shameela has acted for a variety of individuals from professionals to business entrepreneurs to T.V personalities.
Shameela refers to Leo Tolstoy who says “All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way”. She feels it is important to offer a bespoke and holistic service to her clients as she recognises that family breakdown can be one of the most challenging events in an individual’s life. Shameela believes every case is different and she prides herself in tailor making a legal solution for you and the objectives you would like to achieve.
Shameela has built a reputation as a personable and pragmatic lawyer with an extensive range of technical expertise. Shameela regularly provides comment on family law issues for various publications and the radio.
Areas of Expertise
- Financial settlement/orders (with or without the Court intervention)
- International law involving divorce, finances and children
- Applications in private children proceedings
- International and national relocation of children
- Pre and post nuptial agreements and cohabitation agreements
- Cohabitee disputes
- Injunctions and freezing injunctions of various forms
- Acted on international child abduction case. This was a complex case involving wardship and contested contact. One important aspect of this case was reported; Re P (Disclosure CRIMINAL PROCEEDINGS) 2003 EWHC 1713 (Fam), , 1FLR 407. This case involved same sex cohabitation, donor insemination and international aspects as well as contested contact and paternity. Advised and led the case in relation to the Human Rights Act implications, dealt with law firms in USA in relation to enforcement of judgement, liaised with District Attorney in USA in relation to the Hague convention
- Shameela has also worked for a number of families with complex asset bases with various jurisdictional issues (Dubai, U.S.A, Australia, Europe and Asia) and has successfully negotiated settlements/orders in relation to finances and children.
Membership & RECOGNITION
“A great family lawyer. Listens well to the client and ensures the situation is fully understood. Explains the options and what can be done with clarity. Provides sound advice. Helps and guides the client ensuring they understand and are comfortable with the process and the direction of the case. Focuses on what is required and executes efficiently and professionally. Great service good value.” – Anonymous (Application services Director)
“Shameela is an excellent lawyer, who understands complex issues and is able to explain them in layman’s terms and is easy to deal with. She is committed to her client and the results they wish to achieve and is honest and direct with her advice to you in relation to financial and children matters so that you can see the wood from the trees and make the best decision at what is a very stressful time in your life – basically she is amazing.” – Anonymous (Managing Director)
“Shameela Ahmed is who you would want in your corner fighting your battle. She does her best to explain things in simple terms and has been very patient with me during a time when I was extremely vulnerable. Her advice has always been exact and her honesty has always been appreciated.” – Anonymous (PA/Home maker)